Mexico, Yucatán, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Mexico, Yucatan Catholic Church Records .
- 1 Foreign Language Title
- 2 Collection Time Period
- 3 Record Description
- 4 How to Use This Collection
- 5 Record History
- 6 Related Websites
- 7 Related Wiki Articles
- 8 Sources of Information For This Collection
Foreign Language Title
México, Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica del estado de Yucatan.
Collection Time Period
This collection of Catholic Church records for the State of Yucatan covers the years 1543-1970.
Usually separate registers were maintained for baptisms, marriages, and deaths. However, in localities with a small population the records of baptisms, marriages, and burials were recorded in the same register. Confirmations were usually recorded with the baptismal registers, but can also be found with deaths or marriages. Generally, entries were created in chronological order. Early registers may have some ecclesiastical documents written in Latin.
Record ContentImportant genealogical information found in Catholic Church baptismal records include:
- Place and date of the baptism
- Given name
- Gender, place and date of birth or age at baptism
- If legitimate or illegitimate
- Parents names, sometimes their residence and/or place of birth
- Names of maternal grandparents
- Names of paternal grandparents
- Name/s of godparents
Important genealogical information found in Catholic Church marriage records include:
- Place and date of the marriage
- Name of the groom
- Age of groom, his place of birth and/or residence
- Name of the groom’s parents
- Name of the bride
- Age of bride, her place of birth and/or residence
- Names of the bride’s parents
- Sometimes, the parent’s place of origin and/or civil status
- Names of witnesses
Important genealogical information found in Catholic Church burial records include:
- Place and date of the burial
- Burial place
- Name of the principal
- Place and date of birth or age at time of death
- Cause of death
- Residence of the deceased
- Place of death
- Civil status of the principal, if married the name of the spouse may be given
- If principal left progeny
Important genealogical information found in Catholic Church confirmation records include:
- Date and place of confirmation
- Name of person being confirmed
- Parents’ or godparents’ names
How to Use This Collection
The Catholic Church parish records are an excellent source for genealogical research in Mexico. These may also be the only records available for Spanish research before civil registration was implemented in 1871.
Catholic Church parish records cover 95 to 100% of a city’s population. This collection only includes the parish records that were centralized into the diocesan archive.
Why This Record Was Created
Mexican Catholic Church parish registers were created to record baptisms, confirmations, marriages, and burials occurring in the parish.
Catholic Church parish records are a reliable source for doing Mexican genealogical research.
This section of the article is incomplete. You can help FamilySearch Wiki by supplying links to related websites here.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection
- United States. Bureau of Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: Setpemper 29.2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B,line 71.
- Mexico, Districto Federal, Catholic Church Records 1886-1933, digital imagbes, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Femandez Jimenez, 1 Feb, 1910, San Pedro Apostol, Cuahimalpa, Districto Federal, Mexico Film number 0227023.
Sources of Information For This Collection
"Mexico, Yucatan Catholic Church Records", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org), 2009; Arquidiocese of Yucatan, Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. Registros parroquiales, 1543-1970. Original records are also housed in local parish archives throughout the State of Yucatan. FHL 2,435 microfilm reels. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
Digital images of original records housed at various Catholic Church archive repositories throughout the State of Yucatan, Mexico.
The format for citing FamilySearch Historical Collections, including how to cite individual archives is found in the following link: How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections