Miami-Dade County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Miami-Dade County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Miami-Dade County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||November 13, 1997|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Miami-Dade County Courthouse
111 NW First St Ste 220
Miami, FL 33128
Formerly Dade County named changed to Miami-Dade 2 Dec 1997
County Judge has marriage and probate records.
Clerk Circuit Courthas divorce and land records from 1890.
Renamed from Dade County 13 November 1997 by the voter referendum to acknowledge the international recognition of the name "Miami". The county at the formation 18 January 1836 included what are now Palm Beach and Brevard counties. Named for Maj. Francis L. Dade, a soldier killed in 1835 in the Second Seminole War.
Places / Localities
- Woodlawn Park West, Hialeah BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Miami-Dade County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Dade County Recorder's database contains official records recorded through 2/26/06 for Dade County Florida. All images of recorded documents going back to March 1st 1974, can now be viewed for free. Search is made by entering a name and if wished, a beginning and ending date, and either all documents or specifying which document is desired.
Miami-Dade County Recorder's record search. This site allows you to make a search of their records which includes, deeds, probate, mortgages, etc. Some items are digizited for viewing.
Local histories are available for Miami-Dade County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Miami-Dade County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Miami-Dade County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Miami-Dade County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- Miami-Dade County Marriage License/Application Index. Searchable by name and approximate dates.
- 1905-1911 - Dade County Marriage Index 1905-1911. Batch M737502 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Homestead Florida Family History Center
- Miami Florida Family History Center
- Miami Lakes Florida Family History Center (Hialeah)
- Miami Shores Florida Family History Center (North Miami Beach)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWebs Archive Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Dade County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Miami-Dade County FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Miami Dade County, Florida Page 136 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.