Miami-Dade County, Florida Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Renamed from Dade County 13 November 1997 by the voter referendum to acknowledge the international recognition of the name "Miami". The county at the formation 18 January 1836 included what are now Palm Beach and Brevard counties. Named for Maj. Francis L. Dade, a soldier killed in 1835 in the Second Seminole War.
Places / Localities
The 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents.
Dade County Recorder's database contains official records recorded through 2/26/06 for Dade County Florida. All images of recorded documents going back to March 1st 1974, can now be viewed for free. Search is made by entering a name and if wished, a beginning and ending date, and either all documents or specifying which document is desired.
Miami-Dade County Recorder's record search. This site allows you to make a search of their records which includes, deeds, probate, mortgages, etc. Some items are digizited for viewing.
Miami-Dade County Marriage License/Application Index. Searchable by name and approximate dates.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Dade County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Miami-Dade County FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).