Michigan, United States Genealogy
|Michigan Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
|Welcome to Michigan, The Wolverine State|
Michigan comes from the Indian word for Lake Superior, "Michigamee" or variants of that word.
1894 Michigan State Census This Internet site lists soldier's by name with their ward, township, and county as shown on the census of United States Soldiers of the Civil War Residing in Michigan, June 1, 1894, part of a state census. Since the 1890 federal census was partially destroyed in a fire, researchers can use this list of names as an additional tool beyond the census, to document their ancestors whereabouts during the 1890's. There are approximately 50,000 names listed. For further details, see the Michigan Census Wiki page.
Extinct or Renamed Counties: Aishcum | Anamickee | Bleeker | Brown | Cheonoquet | Des Moines | Dubuque | Forest | Iowa | Isle Royal | Kanotin | Kautawaubet | Kaykakee | Keskkauko | Manitou | Meegisee | Michilimackinac | Mikenauk | Neewago | Notipekago | Okkuddo | Omeena | Shawano | Tonedagana | Unwattin | Wabassee | Washington | Wyandot
Erie Canal · Lake Erie · Lake Huron · Lake Michigan · Lake Superior · Monroe Road · Ft. Gratiot Road · Saginaw Road · Detroit-Chicago Road · Maumee-Jonesville Road · La Plaissance Bay Road · Grand River Road · Detroit-Vincennes Road · Erie-Kalamazoo Railroad · Soo Locks
- Michigan Links
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Michigan GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Family History 101 - My Michigan Genealogy contains Michigan state history, links to counties and county histories, where to find records in each county and online links.
- Research Guide: BYU Research Outline for Michigan
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by: