Copies of many tombstone inscriptions, especially for the southern part of Michigan, have been acquired by the Family History Library, the Library of Michigan, and the Detroit Public Library's Burton Historical Collection.
Veteran Cemetery Records
The Family History Library and the Grand Rapids Public Library, 60 Library Plaza NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3093, have microfilm copies of three card indexes to veterans buried in Michigan:
- Grand Army of the Republic (Michigan). Cemetery Index, 1800s–1900s. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1976. (Family History Library FHL films 1002419–21.) Arranged alphabetically by surname.
- Grand Rapids (Michigan). Public Library. Cemetery Records of Michigan Soldiers, 1770–1930. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1976. (Family History Library FHL films 1002021–23.) Arranged alphabetically by surname.
- Michigan. Civil War Centennial Observance Commission. Committee on Civil War Grave Registration. Civil War Graves Registration Index Cards, ca. 1861–1930. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1994. FHL film first film 1955405 (first of 22 films.
- The Michigan Cemetery Sources web site represents a compilation of published cemetery transcriptions located at the Library of Michigan and links to Michigan cemetery websites. This database also identifies the location of over 3,700 cemeteries in Michigan. It is NOT intended to include a list of personal names.
- The following is a directory of cemeteries and transcriptions available at the Library of Michigan:
- Har-Al, Inc. Michigan Cemetery Compendium. Spring Arbor, Michigan. Family History Library FHL book 977.4 V37h: Har-Al, 1979. (FHL book 977.4 V37h.)
- A county-by-county list of cemetery record transcripts available at the Family History Library is:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Family History Library. Index to United States Cemeteries. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1988. FHL film 1206468–94.) Film 1206477 includes Michigan and Minnesota.
Family History Library Resources
To find additional cemetery sources in the Family History Library Catalog, use the Place-Names Search function. For example:
- 1. Access the Family History Library Catalog
- 2. Type the word "Illinois" in the place-names search; then click, Search.
- 3. Locate the topic, Cemetery
- 4. OR, type in a county in Illinois in the place-names search; then click, Search
- 5. Locate the topic, Cemetery.
- 6. To explore each cemetery title, click on the highlighted blue title.
MICHIGAN, [Name of County]- CEMETERIES
MICHIGAN, [Name of County], [Name of Town]- CEMETERIES