The Michigan Road was one of the earliest roads in Indiana
. It Was the first road commissioned by the Indiana State Legislature in 1826. The road became a key thoroughfare in opening the state to settlement. It connected Madison on the Ohio River to Michigan City on Lake Michigan via Indianapolis, the new state capital. Roads in early Indiana were often roads in name only. In actuality they were sometimes little more than crude paths following old animal and Native American trails and filled with sinkholes, stumps, and deep, entrapping ruts.
Michigan Road History
The Michigan Road winds its way through fourteen counties and more than two dozen communities. It connects the north with the south and touches all of the topography we recognize as home in Indiana.
Counties through which the Michigan Road passes: La Porte, St. Joseph, Marshall, Fulton, Cass, Carroll, Clinton, Boone, Hamilton, Marion, Shelby, Decatur, Ripley, and Jefferson.
Cities & towns through which the Michigan Road passes: Michigan City, New Carlisle, South Bend, Lakeville, LaPaz, Plymouth, Argos, Rochester, Fulton, Metea, Logansport, Burlington, Michigantown, Kirklin, Indianapolis, Shelbyville, Greensburg, Napoleon, New Marion, and Madison.
- ↑ http://historicmichiganroad.org/