Military Records Tips for Beginners

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 18:17, 22 August 2008 by Jim1trek (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

>Portal:United States Military Records

When would my ancestor have bben recoreded in a federal military record?

Your ancestor will probably appear ina military record if he:

  • Served ina state volunteer unite that was mustered into federal service during wartime.  Most men who served in wars before 1900 enlisted in state volunteer units.
  • Enlisted in the regular U.S. military forces during wartime

Do a Place Search in the state and /or county that your ancestor was from and choose “military records” under topics in the Family History Library Catalog at