Miller County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Miller County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Miller County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1856|
|Address|| Miller County Courthouse|
155 S 1st Suite 2
Colquitt, GA 31737-1284
Miller County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Probate Court has birth records from 1919,
marriage records from 1904, divorce records
from 1950 and probate records from 1900:
Clerk Superior Court has land, divorce and court
1873 and 1974 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Digital Images of Miller County Will 1871-1925. See names of testators. Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Miller County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Miller County, Georgia. Page 158 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.