Difference between revisions of "Milnrow, Lancashire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 3: Line 3:
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
MILNROW, an ancient chapelry [built by 1726] having parochial rights, in the township of Butterworth, parish and union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Rochdale. This place has long been distinguished for its manufacture of flannels; and of late years, cotton spinning, weaving, and printing have been extensively introduced. The chapelry has regularly-defined boundaries, a church rate, and all parish officers. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a house, built in 1833; patron, the Vicar of Rochdale. The ancient chapel, a small edifice, was taken down in 1796, and the present, a spacious structure, was erected on another site, and consecrated in 1799. A school was endowed by Alexander Butterworth, Esq., in 1726, with £20 per annum, since augmented to £26; and a national, and a Lancasterian school, are partly supported by subscription. There are two other schools, one in Hollingworth and the other in Ogden, the two extremities of the chapelry, endowed in 1727, by John Hill, the former with £30, and the latter with £25, per annum. On a bleak hill to the north of Milnrow, is the scattered village of Gallows, the site of the ancient baronial executions. John Collier, otherwise "Tim Bobbin," the popular author of The Lancashire Dialect, an eccentric caricaturist, poet, and musician, resided for 57 years at Milnrow, as the village schoolmaster, and was buried in Rochdale churchyard: some of his paintings are in the village.—See Butterworth.  
+
MILNROW, an ancient '''chapelry '''[built by 1726] having parochial rights, '''''in the''''' township of Butterworth, '''''parish''''' and union '''''of Rochdale''''', hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles east by south&nbsp;of&nbsp;Rochdale. The ancient chapel, a small edifice, was taken down in 1796, and the present, a spacious structure, was erected on another site, and consecrated in 1799. It also comprises&nbsp;Hollingworth and&nbsp;Ogden, the two extremities of the chapelry. On a bleak hill to the north of Milnrow, is the scattered village of Gallows.—See Butterworth.<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 316-319.&amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.</ref>
 
 
Adapted from: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 316-319. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51151 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
 
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 19: Line 17:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census<br>
Line 25: Line 23:
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions  ====
  
[[Rochdale Poor Law Union]]
+
[[Rochdale Poor Law Union]]  
  
 
==== Probate records<br> ====
 
==== Probate records<br> ====
Line 42: Line 40:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>
+
== Reference<br> ==
 +
 
 +
{{reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 17:50, 12 March 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Chapelry History

MILNROW, an ancient chapelry [built by 1726] having parochial rights, in the township of Butterworth, parish and union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles east by south of Rochdale. The ancient chapel, a small edifice, was taken down in 1796, and the present, a spacious structure, was erected on another site, and consecrated in 1799. It also comprises Hollingworth and Ogden, the two extremities of the chapelry. On a bleak hill to the north of Milnrow, is the scattered village of Gallows.—See Butterworth.[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Rochdale Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 316-319.&nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.