Milnrow, Lancashire Genealogy
MILNROW, an ancient chapelry [built by 1726] having parochial rights, in the township of Butterworth, parish and union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles east by south of Rochdale. The ancient chapel, a small edifice, was taken down in 1796, and the present, a spacious structure, was erected on another site, and consecrated in 1799. It also comprises Hollingworth and Ogden, the two extremities of the chapelry. On a bleak hill to the north of Milnrow, is the scattered village of Gallows.—See Butterworth.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 316-319. Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.