Difference between revisions of "Missaukee County, Michigan Genealogy"
(working on bread crumbs)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
''[[United States|United States]] [[Michigan]] Missaukee County''
== County Courthouse ==
== County Courthouse ==
Revision as of 21:08, 29 January 2013
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Missaukee County Courthouse
111 S Canal
P. O. Box 800
Lake City, MI 49651
Phone: (231) 839-4967
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death, burial, divorce,
court and land records from 1871.
Probate Judge has probate records.
Some records destroyed by fire 1944. 
1840--Missaukee County was created 1 April 1840 from Mackinac County. It was attached to Mackinac, Grand Traverse, Manistee, and Wexford Counties prior to organization 11 March 1871. County seat: Lake City 
FIRE DESTROYS OLD COURTHOUSE FOR MISSAUKEE.
Lake City, Mich., Feb. 18 -- (AP) -- The three-story Missaukee county court house, built in 1883, was destroyed by fire yesterday, with loss estimated at $35,000.
Valuable county records were spared from the flames as fireproof vaults remained intact. When the blaze was discovered about noon, documents outside the vaults were rushed inside to safety.
The jail and sheriff's residence, threatened by the fire, were left undamaged.
News - Palladium Benton Harbor Michigan 1944-02-18
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Missaukee County, Michigan page 348, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).