Mississippi Archives and Libraries
|Mississippi Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- Mississippi, State Archives, Various Records, 1820-1951 Includes tax, census, land, military, naturalization records and former slave narratives. Images.
These repositories preserve sources, maintain indexes, and provide services to help genealogists document their ancestors who lived in Mississippi.
Wiki Articles on Major Repositories in Mississippi
National Archives at Atlanta · Mississippi Department of Archives and History · Mississippi Genealogical Society · Mississippi Historical Society · Evans Memorial Library · McCardle Research Library · Mississippi State University Mitchel Library · University of Mississippi Williams Library · University of Southern Mississippi · Briscoe Center for American History Austin TX · Dallas Public Central Library TX · Mobile Municipal Archives AL
| National Archives at Atlanta|
5780 Jonesboro Road
Morrow, Georgia 30260 USA
Internet: National Archives at Atlanta
- This is the best place to start genealogy research in Mississippi. Researchers can find original records from every Mississippi county here. They also have newspapers, genealogies, and county histories. A useful guide is:
- An Official Guide to the Historical Materials in the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, prepared in 1911-1912 by the Director, Dunbar Rowland, LL.D., is available on-line in its entirety at Google books.
- Wiki articles describing parts of their online collections are found at:
- Their collection is now part of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History above.
- This is an outstanding regional library with records of the deep South, including Mississippi and Alabama oral histories, church records, newspapers, maps, military records, Chickasaw Indians, African Americans, fraternal histories, scrapbooks, manuscripts and photos. One of the largest genealogy collections in the South - could be called "the Fort Wayne Library of the South."
McCardle Research Library
Old Courthouse Museum
1008 Cherry St
Vicksburg, MS 39183 USA
Internet: McCardle Library
- Regional and local genealogy for early Mississippians, and American Civil War records including local history, histories of Warren County families, local cemetery records, census records, business directories, civil war manuscripts, maps, marriage records, and tax records. 
Mississippi State University Mitchel Library
P.O. Box 5408
395 Hardy Rd
Mississippi State, MS 39762-5408 USA
E-mail: [mail to:firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com]
Internet: Special Collections
- They have books, manuscripts, maps, biographies, and genealogies.
- They have an excellent collection of records about Mississippi such as logging, early settlers, oral histories, manuscripts, and local histories.
University of Southern Mississippi
McCain Library and Archives
P.O. Box 5148
Hattiesburg, MS 39406-5148 USA
Phone: (601) 266-4345
Fax: (601) 266-4409
Outside of Mississippi RepositoriesBriscoe Center for American History
University of Texas at Austin
2313 Red River Street
Austin, Texas 78705 USA
E-mail: Reference Request Form
Internet: Briscoe Center for American History
- This collection is as large as the Texas state archives including newspapers, biographies, private collections, the American South, military history, Western Americana, photos, and the Natchez Trace Collection papers from Mississippi and Louisiana.
1515 Young St.
Dallas, TX 75201-9987 USA
- Outstanding genealogical collection with records for more than Texas, including Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, the South, Mid-Atlantic, and New England states. 111,700 volumes, 64,500 microfilms, 89,000 microfiche, and over 700 maps, marriage, probate, deed, tax abstracts, films of originals for some states, and databases.
Mobile Municipal Archives
P.O. Box 1827
457 Church Street
Mobile, Alabama 36633-1827 USA
Internet: http://www.cityofmobile.org/archives/ Municipal Archives
- Includes records of early Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida settlers: Spanish, French, and Anglo especially during the Spanish period. This is the premier library for Gulf Coast settlers from Louisiana to Florida.
- Mississippi Genealogical Society (Jackson, Mississippi), Survey of Records in Mississippi Court Houses (Jackson, Mississippi: Mississippi Genealogical Society, 1957. WorldCat 865951131; FHL Book 976.2 P2m and FHL fiche 6100939. Describes Mississippi county records.
- William Dollarhide and Ronald A. Bremer. America's Best Genealogy Resource Centers (Bountiful, Utah: Heritage Quest, 1998), 127-28. WorldCat 39493985; FHL Ref Book 973 J54d.
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 65.
- McCardle Library in Vicksburg's Old Courthouse Museum (accessed 11 November 2015).
- Dollarhide and Bremer, 107.
- Dallas Public Library Genealogy Collection in Dallas Public Library (accessed 10 November 2015).