Difference between revisions of "Mitton, Lancashire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 8: Line 8:
  
 
Mitton is partly in Lancashire and partly in Yorkshire.  
 
Mitton is partly in Lancashire and partly in Yorkshire.  
 +
 +
== Reference ==
 +
 +
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 20:37, 12 March 2012


For more information and records see Mitton, Yorkshire.

Parish History

MITTON, a parish in the district of Clitheroe, and partly in Lancashire, but chiefly in W. R. Yorkshire; including a peninsular tract at the confluence of the rivers Hodder and Ribble, 2¼ miles SW of Clitheroe r. station. It was once a part of Whalley parish, Lancashire; and it contains the hamlets of Chaigley, Aighton, and Bailey in Lancashire, and the townships of Great Mitton, Bashall-Eaves, Waddington, West Bradford, and Grindleton in West Riding, Yorkshire. Post town, Clitheroe, under Blackburn. The church was built in the time of Edward III. There are chapels at Grindleton, Hurst-Green, and Waddington (which see).[1]

There were Wesleyan chapels in Grindleton and Waddington.

Mitton is partly in Lancashire and partly in Yorkshire.

Reference

  1. John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870)