Mitton, Lancashire Genealogy
Mitton is partly in Lancashire and partly in Yorkshire.
MITTON, a parish in the district of Clitheroe, and partly in Lancashire, but chiefly in W. R. Yorkshire; including a peninsular tract at the confluence of the rivers Hodder and Ribble, 2¼ miles SW of Clitheroe r. station. It was once a part of Whalley parish, Lancashire; and it contains the hamlets of Chaigley, Aighton, and Bailey in Lancashire, and the townships of Great Mitton, Bashall-Eaves, Waddington, West Bradford, and Grindleton in West Riding, Yorkshire. Post town, Clitheroe, under Blackburn. The church was built in the time of Edward III. There are chapels at Grindleton, Hurst-Green, and Waddington (which see).
There were Wesleyan chapels in Grindleton and Waddington.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306898.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870)
For more information and records see Mitton, Yorkshire.