Mitton, Lancashire Genealogy
For more information and records see Mitton, Yorkshire.
MITTON, a parish in the district of Clitheroe, and partly in Lancashire, but chiefly in W. R. Yorkshire; including a peninsular tract at the confluence of the rivers Hodder and Ribble, 2¼ miles SW of Clitheroe r. station. It was once a part of Whalley parish, Lancashire; and it contains the hamlets of Chaigley, Aighton, and Bailey in Lancashire, and the townships of Great Mitton, Bashall-Eaves, Waddington, West Bradford, and Grindleton in West Riding, Yorkshire. Post town, Clitheroe, under Blackburn. The church was built in the time of Edward III. There are chapels at Grindleton, Hurst-Green, and Waddington (which see).
There were Wesleyan chapels in Grindleton and Waddington.Mitton is partly in Lancashire and partly in Yorkshire.
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870)