Monroe County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Monroe County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||June 29, 1815|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Monroe County, Alabama
Monroeville, Al 36461
Courthouse Fire destroyed all records prior to 1833
Probate Judge has marriage probate and land record from 1832
1816 Census of Monroe County published by Monroe Journal Monroeville, Alabama <ref name="HBG">Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Monroe County p. 39. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.</ref>
1833--A courthouse fire destroyed all records.
- see obituary abstracts from the African-American newspaper, The Eagle, in the Newspaper section below
For tips on accessing Monroe County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
- Obituaries & Death Notices published in The Eagle, 1891-1914 - an African-American newspaper of the county. Provided via Afrigeneas.com
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- Monroe County, ALGenWeb - free genealogical resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Monroe County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).