Monroe County, Indiana Genealogy
|Monroe County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 14, 1818|
|Address|| Monroe County Courthouse|
100 W 5th St; PO Box 547
Bloomington, IN 47402-0547
Monroe County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Monroe County Courthouse
100 W 5th St; PO Box 547
Bloomington, IN 47402-0547
County clerk has marriage, divorce and
court records from 1818,
probate records from 1831.
County Health Departmenthas birth,
death and burial records from 1882.
County Recorder has land records. 
As of a date earlier than August 2012, many of the offices and the records related to the offices in the courthourse are temporarily housed in the Showers Building while the courthouse is under construction. The Clerk's Office is permanently located in the Justice Building at Seventh and College.
For tips on accessing Monroe County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Monroe County, Indiana (1880) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Census of Males for Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana (1919) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Court Records for Monroe County (1818-1875) (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Earliest Landowners in Monroe County (Indiana Genealogical Society)
- A database index of grantors and grantees from c 1811-1870 is availabale online from the Monroe County History Center at http://www.monroehistory.org/genealogy_library/land_index.htm. A hardcopy of the index is also available at the facility.
- Blanchard, Charles. Counties of Morgan, Monroe, and Brown, Indiana. Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey & Co, 1884.) 977.2 H2b FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
- History of Monroe County - Linkpendium
- Monroe County History - USGenWeb
- Monroe County, Indiana, Family Heritage Book, published by the Monroe County Historical Society in 1987. Contains an every-name index.
- Monroe County, Indiana, Family Heritage Book, published by the Monroe County History Center in 2007. Contains an every-name index. Material does not overlap with the book by the same name published in 1987.
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
War of 1812
Hopkins, T. M. Reminiscences of Col. John Ketcham of Monroe County, Indiana (Salt Lake City, Utah 1989) pages 23
- Monroe County in the Mexican-American War
- William M. Alexander Civil War Pension File
- List of Pensioners on the Roll January 1, 1883 Monroe County, Indiana (Source: Internet Archive)
- African American Veterans in Monroe County, Indiana (1890) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- World War I
- Gold Star Honor Roll A Record of Indiana Men and Women who Died in World War I - 1914-1918 (Source: Genealogy Trails History Group)
- World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Monroe County (Source: Explore Ancestry.com) ($)
- World War II
- Monroe County, Indiana World War II Casualties, Army and Army Air Corps (Source: AccessGenealogy )
Civil War service men from Monroe County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Monroe County.
- 9th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company I
- 14th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company K
- 18th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 22nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 31st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 38th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 50th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 52nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company E
- 54th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 67th Regiment, Indiana Infantry , Company B
- 82nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, and F
- 93rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 97th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 110th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 112th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company I
- 133rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company K
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company K
- 145th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, D, and E
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Books
- "Military History" in Blanchard, Charles. Counties of Morgan, Monroe, and Brown, Indiana. Historical and Biographical. (Chicago: F.A. Battey Co, 1884.) page 413-451, 977.2 H2b FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Index to Draft Enrollment List for Monroe County, Indiana (1862) (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
The Genealogy Library at Monroe County History Center at Sixth and Washington in Bloomington has a clipping file containing more than 73,000 clippings from newspapers mostly between 1880 and 1930. These clippings are not available online and overlap only miniminally with the clippings archived at Rootsweb.
Many thousands of newspaper clippings, some as early as 1824, are also available in the INMONROE Rootsweb list archive. To search the archive, go to www.rootsweb.com. Under the heading Mailing List, select Archives Search. Choose the Advanced tab. Enter INMONROE in the query box for list name.
The Monroe County Public Library at Bloomington has an extensive obituary index available online. It dates from 1824 through the current month. It can be found by clicking on "Obituary Index" within the box on the left labeled INDIANA ROOM at http://mcpl.info/pathfinder/Genealogy . Most of the obits come from a single newspaper. Consequently, if the obit you seek is not found in the index, try one of the other newspapers from the same date.
- Index to Will Records for Monroe County (1818-1904) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Tax Duplicates for Monroe County (1842) (free, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Monroe County Death Records 1921-1940 are available online at http://www.monroehistory.org/genealogy_library/deathri.htm.
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.com $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Bloomington Indiana Family History Center
- Monroe County History Center, Sixth and Washington streets, Bloomington, Indiana
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Monroe County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Monroe County History Center's website at http://www.monroehistory.org/ has a number of databases and area photographs that contain a wealth of information.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Monroe County, Indiana 215 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).