Monroe County, Ohio Genealogy
|Monroe County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 29, 1813|
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Places/Localities
- 3 Resources
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Belmont, Guernsey and Washington Counties in 29 January 1813.
- County Seat: Woodsfield
- Neighboring Counties: Monroe County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Belmont (north) · Washington (south) · Noble (west) · Marshall County, West Virginia and Wetzel County, West Virginia (east) · Ohio County, West Virginia (southeast)
See an interactive map of Monroe County boundary changes.
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- Civil War
- - Civil War service men from Monroe County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Monroe County.
- - 116th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies A, C, D, E, and F
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- Wikipedia contributors, "Mahoning County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahoning_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).