Monroe County, Ohio Genealogy
Guide to Monroe County Ohio genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Monroe County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Monroe County Courthouse|
101 N. Main St.
Woodsfield, Ohio 43793-1097
Monroe County Website
United States Ohio Monroe County
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Obituaries
- 2.19 Periodicals
- 2.20 Probate
- 2.21 Public Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 Taxation
- 2.24 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Belmont, Guernsey and Washington Counties in 29 January 1813.
- County Seat: Woodsfield
- Neighboring Counties: Monroe County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Belmont (north) · Washington (south) · Noble (west) · Marshall County, West Virginia and Wetzel County, West Virginia (east) · Ohio County, West Virginia (southeast)
See an interactive map of Monroe County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
See Ohio Cemeteries for more information.
Finding More Church Records
Additional church records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Monroe County, Ohio Genealogy Church Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Family Maps of Monroe County, Ohio Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Civil War
- - Civil War service men from Monroe County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Monroe County.
- - 116th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies A, C, D, E, and F
Naturalization and Citizenship
Monroe County Courthouse
101 N Main Street
Woodsfield, OH 43793
Clerk Court has divorce and court records from early 1800’s
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records;
Count Recorder has land records
Family History Centers
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Wikipedia contributors, "Monroe County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).