Montgomery County, Ohio Genealogy
Guide to Montgomery County Ohio genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Montgomery County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Montgomery County Courthouse|
451 W. 3rd St.
Dayton, Ohio 45422
Montgomery County Website
United States Ohio Montgomery County
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogy
- 2.13 History
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Military
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Periodicals
- 2.21 Probate
- 2.22 Public Records
- 2.23 Repositories
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Hamilton County 24 March 1803.
- County Seat: Dayton
- Neighboring Counties: Montgomery County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Miami (north) · Warren (south) · Preble (west) · Greene (east) · Darke (northwest) · Butler (southwest) · Clark (southeast)
See an interactive map of Montgomery County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
- Beavertown Cemetery, Kettering
- Calvary Cemetery, Moraine
- Dayton Memorial Park, Butler
- Willow View Cemetery, Dayton
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
See Ohio Cemeteries for more information.
1820 Census of Montgomery County. Many early residents of Montgomery County migrated north to Miami County.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Montgomery County, Ohio Online Historical Directories - identifies historical city, county, business and other directories available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Archives, Libraries, and Museums
Miami Valley Genealogy Index is an Index to more than a half million pointers to records all over Miami Valley including Montgomery County.
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Montgomery County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Montgomery County.
- - 1st Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery, a battery is like a company in an artillery regiment.
- - 4th Regiment, Ohio Cavalry, Company H
- - 113th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Company I
Naturalization and Citizenship
Probate records created after 1852 are held by the Montgomery County, Ohio Genealogy Probate Court. From 1797 or the creation of the county, probate records were held by the Court of Common Pleas. Most counties transferred all records to the Probate Court, but in some circumstances, Court of Common Pleas records should be searched for records prior to 1852. Most records are housed at the Montgomery County, Ohio Genealogy Courthouse. Some records are on microfilm at the Ohio Genealogical Society and the Family History Library. For more complete information about the location of county probate records see:
- Carol Willsey Bell, Ohio Wills and Estates to 1850: An Index (1981).  FamilySearch Books Online - Free online copy.
See the wiki page Ohio Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (1867-1908 only).
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
Montgomery County Courthouse
41 North Perry
Dayton, OH 45422-0002
Clerk Court has divorce and court records;
Probate Judge has birth, marriage, death and
probate records; County Recorder has land records
Family History Centers
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002]. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Wikipedia contributors, "Montgomery County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montogomery_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- Carol Willsey Bell, Ohio Wills and Estates to 1850: An Index (Columbus, Ohio: the author, 1981). FamilySearch Books Online - Free online copy.