Montgomery County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Montgomery County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Adopted by TXGenWeb Montgomery County TX
Jane Keppler & Jean Smoorenburg
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Montgomery County Courthouse
301 N Main PO Box 959
Conroe, Texas 77305-0959
County Clerk has birth, death and burial records
from 1903, marriage, probate and land records
from 1838 and court records from 1929; District
Clerk has divorce records from 1914
Montgomery county has had three county seats: Montgomery, 1837-1874, Willis, 1874-1880, Montgomery 1880-1889, Conroe, 1889-present.
The first Montgomery County Courthouse, built in Montgomery in 1838 was a two-room log structure. It was replaced in 1842 with a two-story building made of hand-hewn lumber. In 1855 a large Greek Revival style brick courthouse was built in Montgomery.
After Conroe became the county seat, a Greek Revival style courthouse designed by Eugene T. Heiner was built in 1891. In 1936, the current courthouse, a modern style stone building opened. The courthouse was extensively remodeled in 1965. 
Montgomery County Courthouse
501 North Thompson Suite 401
Conroe, Texas 77301
(936)756-0571 or (281)364-4200
County Clerk - Mark Turnbull
210 W. Davis (Hwy 105)
P.O. Box 959
Conroe, Texas 77305
Places / Localities
- Towns and Cities: Conroe | Cut and Shoot | Houston | Magnolia | Montgomery | Oak Ridge North | Panorama Village | Patton Village | Roman Forest | Shenandoah | Splendora | Stagecoach | Woodbranch | Woodloch | Willis
- Unincorporated Areas: Dobbin | Imperial Oaks | New Caney | Porter | Tamina | Spring | The Woodlands
General pages and sites.
- Montgomery New Cemetery, Montgomery
- Scott's Ridge Cemetery, Montgomery
- Smith Memorial Park Cemetery, Willis
- White Oak Cemetery, Porter
- A History of Montgomery County, Texas, by William H. Gandy.
- The Choir Invisible: An Early History of Montgomery County, by the Montgomery Historical Society.
- The History of Montgomery County, 1975, by Robin Navarro Montgomery.
- Montgomery County History, 1981, by the Montgomery County Genealogical Society.
- The Early History of Historic Montgomery County, Texas by Kameron Searle
- I've Been Thinking About! by Narcissa Martin Boulware, on Montgomery County News
- History of the Lake Creek Settlement in Texas and The Founding of the Town of Montgomery in July,1837 by Kameron Searle
- Creation of Montgomery County, Texas Kameron Searle
- Montgomery County Birthplace of the Texas Flag
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- Montgomery County Genealogical & Historical Society
- Humble Area Genealogical Society
Following ancestral footsteps in and around Atascocita, Crosby, Huffman, Kingwood, New Caney, Porter, Splendora, and Humble, Texas.
- Montgomery County Societies
- Montgomery County Memorial Library System
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Montgomery County, Texas. Page 670 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- HistoricTexas.net: Montgomery County http://www3.historictexas.net/montgomery-county-texas
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).