Montgomery County, Texas Genealogy
Adopted by TXGenWeb Montgomery County TX
Jane Keppler & Jean Smoorenburg
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
Montgomery county has had three county seats: Montgomery, 1837-1874, Willis, 1874-1880, Montgomery 1880-1889, Conroe, 1889-present.
The first Montgomery County Courthouse, built in Montgomery in 1838 was a two-room log structure. It was replaced in 1842 with a two-story building made of hand-hewn lumber. In 1855 a large Greek Revival style brick courthouse was built in Montgomery.
After Conroe became the county seat, a Greek Revival style courthouse designed by Eugene T. Heiner was built in 1891. In 1936, the current courthouse, a modern style stone building opened. The courthouse was extensively remodeled in 1965. 
Montgomery County Courthouse
501 North Thompson Suite 401
Conroe, Texas 77301
(936)756-0571 or (281)364-4200
County Clerk - Mark Turnbull
210 W. Davis (Hwy 105)
P.O. Box 959
Conroe, Texas 77305
Places / Localities
- Towns and Cities: Conroe | Cut and Shoot | Houston | Magnolia | Montgomery | Oak Ridge North | Panorama Village | Patton Village | Roman Forest | Shenandoah | Splendora | Stagecoach | Woodbranch | Woodloch | Willis
- Unincorporated Areas: Dobbin | Imperial Oaks | New Caney | Porter | Tamina | Spring | The Woodlands
- A History of Montgomery County, Texas, by William H. Gandy.
- The Choir Invisible: An Early History of Montgomery County, by the Montgomery Historical Society.
- The History of Montgomery County, 1975, by Robin Navarro Montgomery.
- Montgomery County History, 1981, by the Montgomery County Genealogical Society.
- The Early History of Historic Montgomery County, Texas by Kameron Searle
- I've Been Thinking About! by Narcissa Martin Boulware, on Montgomery County News
- History of the Lake Creek Settlement in Texas and The Founding of the Town of Montgomery in July,1837 by Kameron Searle
- Creation of Montgomery County, Texas Kameron Searle
- Montgomery County Birthplace of the Texas Flag
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- Montgomery County Genealogical & Historical Society
- Humble Area Genealogical Society
Following ancestral footsteps in and around Atascocita, Crosby, Huffman, Kingwood, New Caney, Porter, Splendora, and Humble, Texas.
- Montgomery County Societies
- Montgomery County Memorial Library System
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- HistoricTexas.net: Montgomery County http://www3.historictexas.net/montgomery-county-texas
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).