Morden, Surrey Genealogy
'MORDEN (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Croydon, Second division of the hundred of Wallington, E. division of Surrey, 1 mile (W. S. W.) from Mitcham, and 10 miles (S. W. by S.) from London; containing 685 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded by the river Wandle on the north-east, comprises by measurement 1426 acres; about one-half is arable, and the remainder grass and garden-ground, with a small portion of woodland, and 83 acres of common or waste. There are two tobacco and snuff manufactories. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 11., and in the gift of the Rev. R. S. Garth: the tithes have been commuted for £420, and the glebe comprises 14½ acres. The church, a small brick edifice erected about 1636, has a large window of stained glass, the ancient part of which is said to have belonged to Merton Abbey. Several bequests for education, amounting to about £30 per annum, are applied in aid of a national school; and there are £1000 vested in the three per cent. consols. for the support of a Sunday school.'
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474665.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- St Lawrence, Morden (official website). Photographs, visitor directions, service times.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel A. Lewis (1848), pp. 340-342. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51158 Date accessed: 30 November 2010.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Lawrence, Morden in Merton Borough. Marriages from 1801 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Morden in Merton Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Morden in Merton Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Morden in Merton Borough. Partially indexed.
- Surrey Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 14 April 2012.
- 'About Surrey, England, Extracted Parish Records,' Ancestry, accessed 12 May 2012.
- Batches C014152, P014151, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- Batch M014151, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm