Morecambe Holy Trinity, Lancashire Genealogy
Return to the Lancashire Parishes page.
POULTON, with Fearnhead, a township, in the parish and union of Warrington, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from the town of Warrington. The township is bounded on the south by the river Mersey. The road from Warrington to Manchester passes through it. Here is the hamlet of Padgate Poulton Holy Trinity was created a chapel of ease in 1745 from Lancaster St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Bare, Torrisholme, and Poulton Barre and Torrisholme. Poulton and Poulton le Sands are synonymous with what developed as Morecambe.Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 602-605. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51221#s21
The original church was built as a chapel of ease of St Mary's, Lancaster in 1745 on land bequeathed for the purpose in the will of Francis Bowes, the village blacksmith, who died in 1742. It was rebuilt in 1840–41 to a design by the Lancaster architect Edmund Sharpe. The church cost £1288 (£90,000 as of 2010) to build, and Queen Victoria made a personal contribution to this. A south aisle was added in 1866; and Austin and Paley, (successors of Sharpe), designed the chancel which was added in 1897. A Lady Chapel was created in the southeast of the church in 1966. In 1995 the church was re-ordered to celebrate 250 years since the foundation of the church.
Other later churches in Morecambe within the Diocese of Blackburn include:
Here is an 1870 historical view of Poulton-le-Sands chapelry by John M. Wilson:
"POULTON-LE-SANDS, a sea-port village, a town-ship, and a chapelry, in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village is conjoint with Morecambe village, 3¼ miles west by northwest of Lancaster. The township contains also the villages of Bare and Torrisholme. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1855; and a Primitive Methodist chapel."
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop's Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306936.
Poor Law Unions
Lancaster Poor Law Union,Lancashire from 1869
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
http://www.mpc.care4free.net/History/history.htm Parish website history and images of the church
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-391815-parish-church-of-the-holy-trinity-moreca British listed buildings
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870) &amp;amp;lt;br&amp;amp;gt;