Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Morgan County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Morgan County Alabama
302 Lee Street NE
Decatur, Al 35601-1999
Formerly Cotaco county, Name changed to Morgan 14 Jun 1821
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records from 1818 
1818--Morgan County was created 6 February 1818 from the Cherokee Turkeytown Cession.
County seat: Decatur 
1925 and 1938 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Herrin Cemetery, Hartselle BillionGraves
Civil War Battle Fought in Morgan County
- 1864 - October 26-29 = Decatur (partly fought in Limestone County)
Battle information from Civil War Battle Summaries by State, by the Heritage Preservation Services.
Map showing Civil War battles in Alabama.
A free collection of obituaries and death notices from various funeral homes in the Morgan County area has been put together by GenealogyBuffs.com.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Decatur Alabama
- 2006 Modaus Rd SW
Decatur, Morgan, Alabama, United States
Hours: W 6pm-8pm.
- 2006 Modaus Rd SW
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mongan County p. 39. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).