Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
|Morgan County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Biography
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Land and Property
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate Records
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseMorgan County Alabama
302 Lee Street NE
Decatur, Al 35601-1999
Formerly Cotaco county, Name changed to Morgan 14 Jun 1821
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records from 1818 
1818--Morgan County was created 6 February 1818 from the Cherokee Turkeytown Cession.
County seat: Decatur 
1925 and 1938 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- 1865-1932 - Morgan County, Alabama Colored Marriage Books A1-K in "Alabama, County Marriages, 1809-1950," at FamilySearch.org - free. (skips 1910 and 1911)
- Northern Alabama, Historical and Biographical. Birmingham, Ala.: Smith and De Land, 1888. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy begins on page 62.
- Herrin Cemetery, Hartselle BillionGraves
- Douthat, James L. Wheeler Reservoir Cemeteries. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press. Free surname index and publisher's bookstore at Mountain Press.
Land and Property
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Civil War Battle Fought in Morgan County
- 1864 - October 26-29 = Decatur (partly fought in Limestone County)
Battle information from Civil War Battle Summaries by State, by the Heritage Preservation Services.
Map showing Civil War battles in Alabama.
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Morgan County is in District 3.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Vital Record Substitutes
A free collection of obituaries and death notices from various funeral homes in the Morgan County area has been put together by GenealogyBuffs.com:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Decatur Alabama
- 2006 Modaus Rd SW
Decatur, Morgan, Alabama, United States
Hours: W 6pm-8pm.
- 2006 Modaus Rd SW
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Morgan County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mongan County p. 39. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Coverage Table, "Alabama County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," FamilySearch Research Wiki, https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Alabama_County_Marriages_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records), accessed 6 August 2012.