Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
|Morgan County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Biography
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Land and Property
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Periodicals
- 4.13 Probate Records
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseMorgan County Alabama
302 Lee Street NE
Decatur, Al 35601-1999
Formerly Cotaco county, Name changed to Morgan 14 Jun 1821
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records from 1818 
1818--Morgan County was created 6 February 1818 from the Cherokee Turkeytown Cession.
County seat: Decatur 
1925 and 1938 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- 1865-1932 - Morgan County, Alabama Colored Marriage Books A1-K in "Alabama, County Marriages, 1809-1950," at FamilySearch.org - free. (skips 1910 and 1911)
- Northern Alabama, Historical and Biographical. Birmingham, Ala.: Smith and De Land, 1888. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy begins on page 62.
- Herrin Cemetery, Hartselle BillionGraves
- Douthat, James L. Wheeler Reservoir Cemeteries. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press. Free surname index and publisher's bookstore at Mountain Press.
Land and Property
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Civil War Battle Fought in Morgan County
- 1864 - October 26-29 = Decatur (partly fought in Limestone County)
Battle information from Civil War Battle Summaries by State, by the Heritage Preservation Services.
Map showing Civil War battles in Alabama.
- Valley Leaves. 1966–. Published by the Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1568, Huntsville, Alabama 35807. FHL Book 976.19 B2v. Website identifies articles relating to Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy (click "Search by County").
- Morgan County Will Abstracts at USGenWeb.org
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Morgan County is in District 3.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Vital Record Substitutes
A free collection of obituaries and death notices from various funeral homes in the Morgan County area has been put together by GenealogyBuffs.com:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Decatur Alabama
- 2006 Modaus Rd SW
Decatur, Morgan, Alabama, United States
Hours: W 6pm-8pm.
- 2006 Modaus Rd SW
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Morgan County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Morgan County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mongan County p. 39. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Coverage Table, "Alabama County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," FamilySearch Research Wiki, https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Alabama_County_Marriages_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records), accessed 6 August 2012.