Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Morgan County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Morgan County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 7, 1822|
|County Seat||West Liberty|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Bible
- 4.3 Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files, etc.
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 School records
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
1862, 1925--Disasters destroyed most records.
9 March 2012 - Tornadoes destroyed much of West Liberty.
|Blairs Mills||Gordon Ford||Mize||Smith Creek|
|Blaze||Grassy Creek||Moon||Stacy Fork|
|Caney||Head of Stacy Fork||Neal Valley||Tarklin|
|Cannel City||Hickory Grove||Nickell||Twentysix|
|Caskey Fork (hist.)||Holliday||Oak Hill||Upper Sandlick|
|Caskey Settlement||Index||Ophir||Upper White Oak Creek|
|Cindas Creek||Jeptha||Panama||Vance Fork|
|Coffee Creek||Jones Creek||Pekin||West Liberty|
|Cottle||Kellacey||Perry Bend||Wheel Rim|
|Ditney School (hist.)||Licking River||Rexville||Wrigley|
|Ebon||Lost Creek||Right Fork||Yocum|
|Elamton||Lower Sandlick||Road Fork||Zag|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- The KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files, etc.
- Sorted by Surname, Morgan County, Kentucky
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Morgan Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Morgan County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Morgan County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Morgan County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Access Genealogy, Morgan County Kentucky Cemetery Records
- Linkpendium, Morgan County Kentucky
- Morgan County Cemetery Inscriptions
- Morgan County Cemetery Records
- The Tombstone Transcription Project, Morgan County Kentucky
For tips on accessing Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- Morgan County Census Records
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Church Records
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Kentucky Court of Justice, Morgan County Office of the Circuit Court Clerk
- Morgan County Court Records
Morgan County Court and Tax Records
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
Local histories are available for Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Morgan County, Kentucky Map
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- List of Revelutionary Pensioners
Morgan County Genealogy Trails
Morgan County Kentucky World War II Casualities, Army and Air Corps
Regiments. Service men in Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 2nd Battalion, Kentucky Mounted Rifles (Confederate). Company A.
- - 14th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company B.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- Licking Valley Courier
P. O. Box 187
West Liberty, KY 41472
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Morgan County Obituaries
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- Herald & Stewart & Halsey Funeral
- Potter Funeral Home Inc.
Probate records are held by the Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1866-1963 - Will Book 2 (1866-1963) has been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1861 - Morgan County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517791 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Morgan County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517792 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Morgan County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517793 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1861 - Morgan County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517791 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Morgan County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517794 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Morgan County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517795 at FamilySearch - free.
- Kentucky Marriage Project, Morgan County
**Marriage Records of Morgan County, Kentucky 1821-1882
- Morgan County Genealogy Trails 1870 Mortality Schedule
- Morgan County Deaths
- Morgan County Marriages
Morgan County Vital Records
- USGenWeb Archives Project, Morgan County, Kentucky Marriage Index
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
- Morgan County Historical Society
P.O. Box 900; Route 1
West Liberty KY 41472
Family History Centers
- Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy [USGenWeb-KyGenWeb Site]
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Morgan Co., Kentucky Genealogy Forum
- Morgan County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Morgan County, Kentucky page 273, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.