Morgan County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Morgan County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Morgan County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||February 9, 1820|
|County Seat||Berkeley Springs|
|Address|| Morgan County Courthouse|
202 Fairfax Street Suite 100
Berkeley Springs, WV 25411
Morgan County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.3 Census
- 4.4 Church
- 4.5 Court
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Naturalization
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth marriage, death from 1865
Land and some marriage and probate records from 1820
Circuit Court Clerk has divorce and County Court
See an interactive map of Morgan County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Good, Rebecca H. and Rebecca A. Ebert. Finding Your People in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. 4th ed. FHL Book 975 D27e 1998
For tips on accessing Morgan County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Morgan County families include:
- O'Dell, Cecil. Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia. Marceline, Mo.: Walsworth Pub. Co., 1995. FHL Collection. One of the most impressively researched one-place studies in the United States. In a review, Dorman stated "Comprehensive studies such as this appear only rarely. This volume should be in every Virginia genealogical collection."
- Cartmell, T. K. Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants: A History of Frederick County, Virginia (Illustrated) from Its Formation in 1738 to 1908, Compiled Mainly from Original Records of Old Frederick County, Now Hampshire, Berkeley, Shenandoah, Jefferson, Hardy, Clarke, Warren, Morgan and Frederick. n.p.: n.p., c1909. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.59 H2c 1963; FHL US/CAN Film 1000634 Item 1; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online and Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($). [3 copies at FHL.]
- Cartmell, T. K. Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants: A History of Frederick County, Virginia (Illustrated) from Its Formation in 1738 to 1908, Compiled Mainly from Original Records of Old Frederick County, Now Hampshire, Berkeley, Shenandoah, Jefferson, Hardy, Clarke, Warren, Morgan and Frederick. n.p.: n.p., c1909. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.59 H2c 1963; FHL US/CAN Film 1000634 Item 1; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online ;Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($). [3 copies at FHL.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Morgan County on page 135.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
Regiments. Service men in Morgan County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Morgan County, West Virginia Genealogy:
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Morgan County
Map showing Civil War Battles in West Virginia
- West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Morgan County, West Virginia Will Books 1820-1870
- West Virginia Will Books
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
- West Virginia Vital Records - Birth - Death - Marriages. See also How to order West Virginia Vital Records or order electronically online.
. Includes marriages 1820-1969 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Society
P O Box 52
Berkeley Springs, WV 25411
Family History Centers
Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hampshire County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- John Frederick Dorman, "Review of Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):236.
- Richard L. Armstrong, 11th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 52.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012)