Mount Tabor, Vermont
Mount Tabor was chartered August 28, 1761, by Benning Wentworth, of New Hampshire, under the name of "Harwick," to Jonathan Willard and sixty others. It contained 23,040 acres, and the usual reservations were made for the school, ministerial and governor's lots. The town was organized on the 17th of March, 1788.
The name of the town was changed from " Harwick " to Mount Tabor in 1803, the change being made on account of there being a town named Hardwick already in the State, which led to confusion in delivering mail. Mount Tabor was named for Gideon Tabor, a Revolutionary War veteran.
The town population was 255 at the 2010 census.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Mount Tabor is Rutland.
Rutland Probate Court
83 Center Street
Rutland, VT 05701
Phone: (802) 775-0114
- Mount Tabor Cemetery- Directions to this cemetery can be found on the Findagrave website.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005, can be found on FamilySerach (browse only images) at this link.
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Mount Tabor Town Clerks Office. These include records of Land records, 1787-1912; indexes to land records, 1788-1972, and Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1868-1995; indexes to births, marriages, deaths, 1857-1972.
Mount Tabor Town Clerk
522 Mount Tabor Rd
Danby, VT 05739
P.O. Box 245
Mount Tabor, VT 05739
Phone: (802) 293-5282
Fax: (802) 293-5287
Rutland Herald online at this link.
Libraries and Historical Societies
- History Rutland County Vermont, Edited by H. P. Smith and W. S. Rann, Syracuse, NY, 1886