Muskingum County, Ohio Genealogy
|Muskingum County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Muskingum Co. Courthouse|
401 Main St.
Zanesville, Ohio 43702
Muskingum County Website
United States Ohio Muskingum County
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.8 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.9 Gazetteers
- 2.10 Genealogy
- 2.11 History
- 2.12 Land and Property
- 2.13 Maps
- 2.14 Military
- 2.15 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.16 Newspapers
- 2.17 Obituaries
- 2.18 Periodicals
- 2.19 Probate
- 2.20 Public Records
- 2.21 Repositories
- 3 County Courthouse
- 4 Web Sites
- 5 Places
- 6 Populated Places
- 7 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Fairfield and Washington Counties 7 January 1804.
- County Seat: Zanesville
- Neighboring Counties: Muskingum County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Coshocton (north) · Morgan (south) · Licking (west) · Guernsey (east) · Perry (southwest) · Noble (southeast)
- A part of the county was returned to Fairfield County 1817.
- Parts set off to create Coshocton 1810, Guernsey 1810, Morgan 1817.
See an interactive map of Muskingum County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
CemeteriesLDS Cemetery Records (rural or uncertain specific location)
Vol. 1, page 139 - South Adamsville
- Prospect United Methodist Church Cemetery, Dresden BillionGraves
- Sherrods Chapel Cemetery, Muskingum BillionGraves
- The Archdiocese of Cincinnati, Ohio Archives
6616 Beechmont Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45230 Tel: 513-231-0810
website: Archives Genealogy Research
- St. Nicholas Catholic Church
925 E. Main St.
Zanesville, OH 43701
- Records kept by Carl Louis Wagner, Lutheran minister, 1920-1965 Contains baptisms, confirmations, funerals and weddings in the following locations.
- Brandywine and Sugar Grove, Pendleton County, West Virginia
- Zanesville and Philo, Muskingum County, Ohio
- Eagleport, Morgan County, Ohio
- Lake Township, Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Dixon and Amboy, Lee County, Illinois
- Muskingum County OHGenWeb Project has additional information about various church groups and their records.
- 105 South 6th Street
- Zanesville, Ohio 43701-3608
- Phone: (740) 452-1620
On Prospect Church Road (County Road 99). Has cemetery beside it, see 'Cemeteries' below for link with Google map, headstone images.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- United States Geographic Survey Place Names - GNIS for Muskingum County
(may not always be present in alphabetic order on first try.)
Home of the "Y" Bridge which crosses the Muskingum and Licking Rivers. The Ohio government authorized the creation of Muskingum County on January 7, 1804 and the County of Muskingum was established on 1 March 1804. Muskingum County was named from the Delaware Indian word meaning “a town near the river”.
Land and Property
- 1866 Atlas of Muskingum County Ohio.
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Muskingum County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Muskingum County.
- - 1st Regiment, Ohio Cavalry, Company B, also known as "Laughlin's Cavalry"
- - 1st Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Company H, also known as the Zanesville Guards
- - 97th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies E, F, G, and K
Naturalization and Citizenship
- The Zanesville Times Recorder
34 S. Fourth St.
Zanesville, OH 43701
Tel: (740) 452-4561
- Coshocton Tribune
550 Main Street
Coshocton, OH 43812
Tel: (740) 622-1122
Online obituaries since 27 Dec 2001
- Muskingum County Libraries, Ohio State University Library, and the Ohio Historical Society are all resources for historical newspapers. Over the years Zanesville has had it's newspaper change names many times. This Historical Newspapers article lists the names of early newspapers for Adamsville, Dresden, New Concord, and Zanesville.
Muskingum County Courthouse
401 Main Street
Zanesville, OH 43701
Probate Court has birth and death records 1867-1908,
marriage and probate from 1804 and naturalization records;
County Recorder has land records from 1803 and and military
records from 1865; Clerk Court has divorce and court record
Family History Centers
Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- The Muskingum County OHGenWeb Project, an member of The OHGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Muskingum County.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- Wikipedia contributors, "Muskingum County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskingum_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- Records kept by Carl Louis Wagner, Lutheran minister, 1920-1965. Wagner, Carl Louis. Family History Library Film Number: 1036647 Item 1