Nassau County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Nassau County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Nassau County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 29, 1824|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Nassau County Courthouse
PO Box 456
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1800’s. 
Places / Localities
Amelia Island, a Sea Island that stretches along the east cost from South Carolina to Florida. It's county seat is Fernandina Beach, which is located on this island.
- Nassau County Cemetery Burials - burials for about 60 cemeteries collected by the Amelia Island Genealogical Society
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
- Bosquebello Cemetery, Fernandina Beach BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Nassau County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1885 Florida State Population Census - Includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Nassau County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Civil War Pension Index for Nassau County - via the Amelia Island Genealogical Society
- Civial War Muster Records for Nassau County - via the Amelia Island Genealogical Society
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Nassau County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Nassau County Obituaries - various years between 1879 - 1949; transcribed by the Amelia Island Genealogical Society.
- Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate records are held by the Nassau County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Nassau County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- Index to Nassau County wills, 1870-1908 - via the Amelia Island Genealogical Society
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1867-1927 - Nassau County Marriage Books B-D, 1-4 Index 1867-1927 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1894 - Nassau County Marriages, 1868-1894 - abstracted by the Amelia Island Genealogical Society. Can search by bride or groom's name.
Societies and Libraries
- Amelia Island Genealogical Society - genealogy for Nassau county
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
- Florida Family History Centers
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
- Nassau County FLGenWeb - free genealogical resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Nassau County, Florida Genealogy & History
- State of Florida
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Nassau County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Nassau County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Nassau County, Florida Page 136 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/3f/Igifloridamz.pdf.