◄ Netherlands Homepage
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Dutch genealogical research exist. Most genealogical and historical societies in North America and in the Netherlands publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of church records, migration lists, and cemetery records.
- Helpful articles on research methodology.
- Indexes to genealogical sources
- Information about records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews.
- Advertisements of professional researchers.
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers.
North American Periodicals
Some historical and genealogical societies publish periodicals focusing on Dutch immigrants to North America. These periodicals are often published quarterly and may focus on the immigrants to a particular region or state. Some major examples are:
- Quarterly. 1987–. Published by the Dutch Family Heritage Society, 2463 Ledgewood Dr., West Jordan UT 84084–5738, USA. (FHL book 973 D25df.) This periodical focuses on Dutch people for all time periods and places.
The focus of these next two periodicals is on Dutch immigrants to North America before 1675 and their descendants:
- De Halve Maen. [1925?]–. Published by the Holland Society of New York, 122 East 58th Street, New York NY 10022, USA. (FHL book 974.7 B2h; some issues on fiche 6050867–6050877.)
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Record. 1870–. Published by the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York NY 10022–1939, USA. (FHL book 974.7 B2n; some issues on 26 FHL films.)
Nationwide. Many societies and organizations in the Netherlands publish genealogical periodicals. These are in Dutch. Much of their content is devoted to compiled genealogies of native families. They also are an excellent place to publish queries or advertisements for a lost ancestor from the Netherlands. Some major examples are:
Genealogie: Kwartaalblad van het Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie (Genealogy: Quarterly of the Central Office for Genealogy). 1995–. Published by the Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie, Postbus 11755, 2502 AT ’s-Gravenhage, The Netherlands. (FHL book 949.2 D25cm.)
Gens Nostra: Maandblad van de Nederlandsche Genealogische Vereeniging (Our Ancestry: Monthly Journal of the Netherlands Genealogical Society). 1945–. Published by the Nederlandse Genealogische Vereniging, Postbus 976, 1000 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands. (FHL book 949.2 D25g.)
De Nederlandsche Leeuw: Maandblad van het Koninklijk Nederlandsch Genootschap voor Geslacht– en Wapenkunde (The Dutch Lion: Journal of the Royal Dutch Society for Genealogy and Heraldry). 1883–. Published by the Koninklijk Nederlands Genootschap voor Geslacht– en Wapenkunde, Postbus 85630, 2508 CH Den Haag, The Netherlands. (FHL book 949.2 B2ned; some issues on 4 FHL films.)
Regional. In addition to the national periodicals, excellent regional publications are also available. Most articles in these periodicals are about families from the area covered by the periodicals. Examples of regional periodicals are:
- Genealogisch Tijdschrift voor Midden– en West–Brabant (Genealogical Journal for Middle and Western Noord–Brabant).
- Genealogysk Jierboekje (Genealogical Yearbook). An annual publication of the Frisian Academy, Society for Language, Genealogical and Cultural Studies of Friesland.
- Ons Voorgeslacht (Our Ancestry). A journal of the South Holland chapter of the Dutch Genealogical Society.
- Ons Waardeel (Our Valuable Volume). A journal for genealogy in Drenthe and Groningen.
- Van Zeeuwse Stam (Of Zeeland Origin). A journal of the Zeeland chapter of the Dutch Genealogical Society.
- Veluwse Geslachten (Families from the Veluwe). A regional journal for Gelderland.
Most magazines have annual or cumulative indexes. A major composite index to nearly all Dutch periodicals is:
- Beresteyn, E. A. van. Genealogisch Repertorium (Genealogical Repertory). 2 vol. and 3 supplements. Den Haag: Centraal Bureau voor Genealogie, 1972–1995. (FHL book Ref 949.2 D23b.) Surnames are indexed when at least three generations are included. This work indexes genealogy books in addition to periodicals. It contains an explanatory introduction in Dutch, English, French, and German.
The following index should be consulted for Dutch families that immigrated to the United States and Canada:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI), 1847–1985. 17 vol. Fort Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1988–1998. (FHL book 973 D25per; vol. 1–16 on fiche 6016863.) There are annual volumes of PERSI for the years beginning 1986 (FHL book 973 D25per). The entire index is also available on CD-ROM (FHL call number compact disc no. 61). See further the publication PERiodical Source Index (PERSI) Guide (34119) or on the Internet at http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=3165.
Copies of periodicals are available from the individuals or societies that publish them. The Central Office for Genealogy, in ’s-Gravenhage, and the Dutch Genealogical Society, in Naarden, will have copies of nearly all of the periodicals. Major archives and libraries with genealogical collections often have copies of many periodicals, particularly those that represent the area they serve. Some libraries collect certain periodicals as part of a special collection about an area or topic.
The Family History Library subscribes to numerous periodicals. These are listed in the Family History Library Catalog in several ways. If you know the title of a periodical, look in the Author/Title search of the catalog. To find periodicals in the Place search of the catalog, use the following approaches:
NETHERLANDS – GENEALOGY– PERIODICALS
NETHERLANDS – HISTORY – PERIODICALS
NETHERLANDS – SOCIETIES – PERIODICALS
NETHERLANDS – PERIODICALS
NETHERLANDS, [PROVINCE] – PERIODICALS
NETHERLANDS, [PROVINCE], [TOWN] – PERIODICALS