Difference between revisions of "WieWasWie"
Revision as of 22:08, 29 September 2013
Genlias is now offline and has been replaced with WieWasWie.nl
Genlias is the premier site for Dutch records. The information from this site was taken directly from the Netherlands Civil Register. Some church records are also included. This site contains almost 10.5 million records with over 44 million names. The index is not complete; records are continuously being added. Most notably missing are records from Amsterdam, 's-Gravenhage (The Hague)(Genlias does have marriage records for The Hague from 1811-1842), Rotterdam, Leiden, Delft, etc.
If you want to see what is currently included in Genlias, go to the web-site http://www.genlias.nl/ and click on "What is in Genlias". Scroll down till you find "Current database status" and click on the orange(!) link. Then choose the province and then the town you are looking for. If the town is not there, no records are as yet available. If there are records, it will tell you which time period and what type of records are covered.
There are also records included from some of the Dutch colonies.
Another incredible site is: http://geneaknowhow.net/digi/bronnen.html
Records for Amsterdam baptisms before 1811 can be found at: https://stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl/archieven/archiefbank/indexen/doopregisters/zoek/index.nl.html
Some records for The Hague can be found at: http://www.denhaag.nl/smartsite.html?id=37609
The web-site for Rotterdam is: http://www.gemeentearchief.rotterdam.nl
Leiden's web-site is found here: http://www.leidenarchief.nl/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=8
And Delft: http://www.archief.delft.nl/
This Genlias site includes:
- Births (1811 to 1903)
- Marriages (1811 to 1923)
- Deaths (1811 to 1953)
- Death duties - statements of succession
According to the Genlias site:
A record of birth provides you with the following information:
- The name of the child
- The names of the parents
- The exact date of birth
- In most cases, the parents' address
A record of marriage provides you with the following information:
- The names and ages of the bride and groom
- In most cases, the names of the bride's and the groom's parents
- In most cases, the places of birth of the bride and groom
- Whether the bride is a widow or the groom a widower
- In most cases the profession of groom and/or bride
A record of death provides you with the following information:
- The name of the deceased
- The exact date of death
- In most cases, the name of the deceased's parents
- In most cases, the age of the deceased
- In some cases, the deceased's place of birth
- In some cases, the name of the deceased's spouse
- In most cases, the address of the deceased
Using the Site
The site initially comes up in Dutch. If you want to see it in English, click English at the top of the home page.
Most web-sites in the Netherlands are free