New Hampshire Archives and Libraries
Several record repositories have major collections and services for genealogists. The Family History Library has copies of many of the records at these archives, but most repositories will have additional sources. They often have compiled biographies and family and local histories. Some have maps, gazetteers, and other place-finding aids.
- New Hampshire Department of State
Division of Records Management and Archives
71 South Fruit Street
Concord, New Hampshire 03301
- -Guide to Archives is alphabetical by subject matter found in the collections and publications.
- -New Hampshire. Department of State. Division of Records Management and Archives. Guide to Early Documents (c. 1680–c. 1900) is an inventory of documents at the New Hampshire Records Management and Archives Center. (Concord, N.H.: Division of Records Management, 1981). (Family History Library book 974.2 A3n; film 1320570 item3; fiche 6332691.)
- National Archives Northeast Region (Boston)
380 Trapelo Road
Waltham, MA 02452-6399
For additional information about this archive, see National Archives Northeast Region (Boston).
- National Archives—Northeast Region (Pittsfield)
10 Conte Drive
Pittsfield, MA 01201-8230
- -Genealogy.com. National Archives - Pittsfield Region, gives hours and an explanation about what is at this archives.
- New Hampshire State Library
20 Park Street
Concord, New Hampshire 03301
Telephone: 603-271-6823 or 2144
Genealogy and New Hampshire History
- University of New Hampshire Library
Dimond Library Special Collections
18 Library Way
Durham, New Hampshire 03824
- New England Historic Genealogical Society
101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116
For more information about this society, see New England Historic Genealogical Society.
- Massachusetts State Archives
220 Morrissey Boulevard
Boston, Massachusetts 02125
You can find computerized research tips and information about ancestors from New Hampshire in a variety of sources at local, state, national, and international levels. The list of sources is growing rapidly, and most of the information is available at no cost. The following sites are gateways linking you to more sites (addresses are subject to change):
- FamilySearch. At this site you can access the Family History Library Catalog, Ancestral File, International Genealogical Index, lists of Family History Centers, web sites related to family history, and lists of researchers interested in similar genealogical topics. You can also learn about and order Family History Library publications.
- Howells, Cyndi. U.S.- New Hampshire, in Cyndi’s List. This list has more links to other New Hampshire genealogical sites and describes more resources than any other site on the Internet. (Cited 14 December 1999).
- New Hampshire Index, USGenWeb, in USGenWeb Archives. This is a cooperative effort by many volunteers to list genealogical databases, libraries, bulletin boards, and other resources available on the Internet for each county, state, and country. (Cited 14 December 1999).
- Roots-L New Hampshire, in RootsWeb. This list of sites and resources includes a large, regularly-updated research coordination list. (Cited 14 December 1999).
- Guant, Christine. New Hampshire Resources, in Genealogy Bookmarks. This site provides links to vital record offices, genealogical and historical societies, and other Internet sites. (Cited 14 December 1999).
- "NHGenExchange." In Genealogical Exchange & Surname Registry. N.p., 1996-1999 [cited 14 December 1999]. Available at  This site brings searchable data to genealogists, including databases (church, cemetery, census, land, immigration, naturalization, and vital records), directories, historical accounts, mailing lists, queries, local surname researchers, and look-up volunteers. (This page may have been discontinued)
- Cleaveland, Richard. "BBSes for New Hampshire." In Richard Cleaveland’s Genealogical Bulletin Board Systems World-wide (GBBS). [Washington, D.C.]: National Genealogical Society, 4 May 1998 [cited 14 December 1999]. Available at www.genealogy.org. Look for answers and post queries on the genealogical electronic bulletin boards of this list.
Further inventories and other information about New Hampshire archives and libraries can be found in the Family History Library Catalog Place Search under:
NEW HAMPSHIRE- ARCHIVES AND LIBRARIES
NEW HAMPSHIRE,[COUNTY]- ARCHIVES AND LIBRARIES
NEW HAMPSHIRE,[COUNTY],[TOWN]- ARCHIVES AND LIBRARIES