New Hanover County, North Carolina Genealogy
|New Hanover County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
New Hanover County Courthouse
3rd & Princess St Rm 103
Wilmington, NC 28401-4090
Courthouse burned 1798, 1819, & 1840
1810 Census Missing
Reg of Deeds has birth, marriage, death and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records
New Hanover created from Edgecombe 15 Nov 1777
Courthouse fires have destroyed some records through the years.
For tips on accessing New Hanover County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Little River, S.C.: J.D. Lewis, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 L585Ljd; CD-ROM no. 1036
Early migration routes to and from New Hanover County for European settlers included:
- Atlantic Ocean
- King's Highway about 1704
- Secondary Coast Road late 1730s
- Fayetteville, Elizabethtown, and Wilmington Trail
- Wilmington, Highpoint, and Northern Trail
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -2nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -7th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -8th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project, North Carolina State Archives. Search full text historical newspapers published in Wilmington.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Washington North Carolina Family History Center
- Wilmington North Carolina Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), New Hanover County, North Carolina. Page 512 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.