Newfoundland and Labrador Census
Census records exist for British and French settlers in Newfoundland. In general, the French records are for Plaisance (Placentia) French held from 1650 -1711 and the town was given up to the British in 1711 . They are transcripts of copies at the National Archives of Canada. The original records are in France. The French had some limited fishing rights on the island but were not allowed to settle on the island of Newfoundland which was Britain's oldest colony.
1671, 1673, 1691, 1693 Names all household members.
1698, 1704,1706, 1711 Names head of household only.
(All of the above census records are available at the National Archives of Canada. Transcripts of most of these are in “Mémoires de la Société Généalogique Canadienne-Française,” vols. 10-11.)
1796 Names heads of households for St. John’s.
1800–1801 Names heads of households for Trinity Bay.
1836–1951 Names statistical abstracts.
1911 Names all household members only for Fogo and Port de Grave.
1921 Names all household members. Does not include the districts of Bay de Verde, Bonavista, Fogo, and Labrador.
1935, 1945 Names all household members for entire province.
(These censuses are available at the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador (P.A.N.L.)
Newfoundland, Canada Census Records CensusFinder