Newlyn East, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to Newlyn East, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Newlyn East, Cornwall|
|Poor Law Union||St Columb Major|
|Registration District||St Columb|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1609|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
St Newlina Newlyn east is an Ancient parish historically in the diocese of Exeter but in the modern Church of England diocese of Truro.
St Newlyn East (Cornish: Eglosniwlin) is a civil parish and village in Cornwall The name St Newlyn East is locally abbreviated to Newlyn East.
The parish is named after the patron saint of the church, St Newlina
The church was founded in Norman times and rededicated in 1259. Most of the present building is of the 14th and 15th centuries. There is a fine Norman font
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Newlyn East, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Newlyn East, Cornwall Genealogy Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1559-1715||1559-1714, 1881-1907||1559-1715, 1850-1990|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P36 The collection is waypointed St Columb Major.
The collection on publication had a technical difficulty loading the images for events within this parish and reloading is awaited by engineers.
An extremely useful page for research in this parish is the Cornwall Online parish Clerks page http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/n_p/newlyn_east.php The online parish clerk for the parish is Blanche Charles.
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241271.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Ambiguously described as 'Newlyn' with no saint's dedication.
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2014.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.