Newton All Saints, Lancashire Genealogy
NEWTON, a parochial chapelry, in the parish and union of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire; comprising the townships of Bradford, Droylsden, Failsworth, Newton, and Moston; and containing 16,521 inhabitants, of whom 6127 are in Newton township, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Manchester. The manufacture of cotton, and the printing of calico, are carried on to a considerable extent, and silk-weaving upon a smaller scale. The village of Newton lies on the road from Manchester to Oldham; and the Manchester and Leeds railway and the Rochdale canal pass through the chapelry. The townships of Newton and Bradford are within the parliamentary borough of Manchester. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £155; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The former chapel, dedicated to All Saints, and built prior to 1650, fell down on the 2nd of May, 1808: the present edifice was erected on its site, at an expense of £8000, defrayed by a rate on the inhabitants, and is a handsome structure in the later English style. The townships of Droylsden and Failsworth have lately been constituted ecclesiastical parishes, under the provisions of the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37; a church was consecrated in the latter in Nov. 1846, and one was erected in the former in 1847. There are several places of worship for dissenters; and numerous schools.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 404-407. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51176 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
Records for All Saints Parish Church date back to 1655. There is an ancient chapelry mentioned as far back as 1573 when Bishop Bridgman made an order in respect of maintenance for a curate.
The current church was erected in 1814 under an Act of Parliament. At this time the district of the chapelry changed and included Newton (Newton Heath), Failsworth, Droylsden, Bradford and part of Moston. This continued until the passing of the Rectorial Act when these places were separated and became parishes.
Newton All Saints is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1839 from Manchester_Our_Lady,_St_George_and_St_Denys,_Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Kirkmanshulme and Culcheth.
The modern parish was created in 1997 when united with St. Wilfred and St. Anne's to form the parish of Newton Heath.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.