Noble County, Indiana Genealogy
Guide to Noble County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Noble County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||February 7, 1835|
|Address|| Noble County Courthouse|
101 N Orange Street
Albion, IN 46701-1097
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Cemeteries
- 2.4 Census Records
- 2.5 Church Records
- 2.6 Court Records
- 2.7 Directories
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogies
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Naturalization
- 2.15 Newspapers
- 2.16 Obituaries
- 2.17 Probate Records
- 2.18 Public Records
- 2.19 Repositories
- 2.20 School Records
- 2.21 Taxation
- 2.22 Vital Records
- 2.23 Voter Registration
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 References
1843 and 1859 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Augusta Cemetery
- Gragg Cemetery
- Lower/Lauer Cemetery
- Port Mitchell Cemetery
- Sanford Cemetery
- Wolf Lake Cemetery Genealogy Center
- Wolf Lake Cemetery BillionGraves
- The Indiana Genealogical Society has many free indexes to Noble County cemeteries.
For tips on accessing Noble County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Morality Schedule for Noble County, Indiana (1860) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Noble County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Counties of La Grange and Noble, Indiana: Historical and Biographical. (Salem, Mass: Higginson Book Co, 1993.) 977.27 H2c FHL US/CAN Book <IMG class=FCK__MWTemplate src="https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/extensions/FCKeditor/fckeditor/editor/images/spacer.gif" _fckfakelement="true" _fckrealelement="8" _fck_mw_template="true"> <a href="http://www.worldcat.org/title/counties-of-la-grange-and-noble-indiana-historical-and-biographical/oclc/646035436&referer=brief_results">other library a href="http://www.archive.org/details/countiesoflagran00infaba">INTERNET ARCHIVE
- Alvord, Samuel E., Alvord's history of Noble County, Indiana: to which is appended a comprehensive compendium of local biography - memoirs of representative men and women of the county, whose works of merit have made their names imperishable, (Reprint. Originally published: Logansport, Indiana: B. F. Bowen, Publisher, 1902. 602, 53 p. leaves. ill., facsims., ports.)977.276 H2a FHL US/CAN Book<IMG class=FCK__MWTemplate src="https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/extensions/FCKeditor/fckeditor/editor/images/spacer.gif" _fckfakelement="true" _fckrealelement="6" _fck_mw_template="true"><a href="http://www.archive.org/stream/alvordshistoryof00alvo#page/n5/mode/2up">INTERNETARCHIVE</a>
- Goodspeed, Weston Arthur, and Charles Blanchard. 1970.Counties of Whitley and Noble, Indiana: historical and biographical, illustrated. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic, inc.) 977.27 H2g FHL US/CAN Book IMG class=FCK__MWTemplate src="https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/extensions/FCKeditor/fckeditor/editor/images/spacer.gif" _fckfakelement="true" _fckrealelement="4" _fck_mw_template="true"a href="http://www.worldcat.org/title/counties-of-whitley-and-noble-indiana-historical-and-biographical-illustrated/oclc/424016725&referer=brief_results"other librarya href="http://www.archive.org/details/countiesofwhitle00good">INTERNET&ARCHIVEDigital Version at FamilySearch Books Online
Land and Property
Civil War service men from Noble County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Noble County.
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies B, C, D, I, and M
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies B, and I
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized B, and C
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized C, and F
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company C
- 30th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, F, and Reorganized Companies D, and E
- 44th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 74th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 88th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and D
- 100th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 129th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B,C, D, and I
- 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company D
- 142nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, G, and D
- 152nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, C, F, and E
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Book
- "The First Call for Troops" in Counties of La Grange and Noble, Indiana: Historical and Biographicall. (Salem, Mass: Higginson Book Co, 1993.) 977.27 H2c FHL US/CAN Book page 89-116,FHL Collection other library INTERNET ARCHIVE
World War I
World War II
101 N Orange Street
Albion, IN 46701-1097
County Health Department has birth and death records.
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate
and court records from 1859.
County Auditor has land records
City Clerk has burial records. 
Family History Centers
- Noble County Vital Records Site.This site includes Divorces, Obituaries, Biographies, Guardianship, Probate Index, Births, Deaths, Marriages, School Records, Military, Cemeteries, Settlers, Census, Neighbors, and Wills Index.
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920-FamilySearch
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Noble County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Noble County, Indiana 215 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.