Norfolk (Independent City), Virginia
|— Independent City —|
- 1.1 Courthouse
- 1.2 History
- 1.3 Resources
- 1.4 Societies and Libraries
- 1.5 Websites
- 1.6 References
|For additional records, see Norfolk County.|
Don's List contains Norfolk telephone directories for 1957, 1961-1962, and 1964.
- [Sweny] Henkel, Steve. "Murder in the Family: Identifying the Parents and Siblings of George Wythe Sweny, Murderer of His Great-Uncle, George Wythe, Chancellor of Virginia," The American Genealogist, Vol. 78, No. 2 (April 2003):87-94.
- [Willoughby] Captain Thomas Willoughby 1601-1657 : of England, Barbadoes and Lower Norfolk County, Virginia : some of his descendents 1601-1800 (1978)
- Walter, Alice Granbery. Map of Norfolk Town & Vicinity, 1682, Norfolk Borough 1736. 1972. FHL Books 975.5521 E7w no. 1-no. 2 and supp..
|See Norfolk County, Virginia.|
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Norfolk:
- 1802-1803 - Norfolk Herald at Google News - free.
- 1804-1816 - Norfolk Gazette and Publick Ledger at Google News - free.
- 1811-1859 - Norfolk & Portsmouth Herald at Google News - free.
- 1820-1833 - The Norfolk and Portsmouth Herald at Google News - free.
Indexed images of the Virginia Gazette (1736-1780) are available online through the Colonial Williamsburg website. In addition, Professor Tom Costa and The Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia have created a database of all runaway advertisements for slaves, indentured servants, transported convicts, and ship deserters listed in this source and other Virginia newspapers (1736-1803), see: The Geography of Slavery in Virginia. These newspapers are valuable resources for all regions of Virginia.
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. Available at FHL. [Includes a section on Norfolk silversmiths.]
A free index to Norfolk (Independent City), Virginia wills and administrations (1784-1800) is available at the Library of Virginia website.
- [1789, 1798] Indexed images of the 1789 and 1798 Personal Property Tax Lists of Norfolk, Virginia are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Norfolk is included in Vol. 3.]
- Tucker, George Holbert. Abstracts from Norfolk City Marriage Bonds [1797-1850]. [Norfolk, Va.?]: William H. Delaney, 1934. Available at FHL; digital version at World Vital Records ($).
Societies and Libraries
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 7 August 2012).