North Carolina Bible Records
Bibles were often given to a bride as a wedding gift, and families recorded in them information about their immediate family and close relatives. Bible records can include birth, marriage, and death dates; parents’ names; and names of children and their spouses, including maiden names. A person’s age at the time of death may be given. Many families kept Bible records from the 1700s to more recent times, although few of these records have survived. Some have been donated to local libraries or societies, but you may need to contact descendants to find some family Bible records.
Published Family Bibles
Copies of Bible records are in the McCubbins’ Collection described in North Carolina Genealogy. Other collections with Bible records include:
- Daughters of the American Revolution (North Carolina). Genealogical Collection. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971.) FHL 860336 (first of 54) This collection includes family histories and transcripts of Bible, cemetery, church, will, marriage, death, and obituary records. The volumes are generally arranged by county, and many have individual indexes. There is a surname index to this collection:
- Kirkham, E. Kay. An Index to Some of the Family Records of the Southern States: 35,000 Microfilm References from the NSDAR Files and Elsewhere. (Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1979.) FHL fiche 6089183, book 973 D22kk Digital version available through FHL catalog entry.
- Lester, Memory Aldridge. Bible Records from the Southern States 7 vols. in 6 (Chapel Hill, North Carolina: M.A. Lester, 1956–1962.) At various libraries (WorldCat, FHL film 978067, 896773 items 1–4 and 896774 items 1–2; book 975 D28L These volumes often provide birth, marriage, and death dates, as well as marriage places. The entries are arranged alphabetically by Bible owner.
- Martin, Ruth. North Carolina Bible Records. 8 vols. N.p., 1932?–1936?. At various libraries (WorldCat), FHL fiche 6049149–56. book 975.6 D2mr Series one (vols.1–7) has Bible, church, and cemetery records. Series two (vol.1) has Bible, birth, and marriage records, and genealogies.
- Dance, Martha. Index to North Carolina Bible Records, Volumes 1–4 and 6. Comp. Ruth Martin. (San Diego, California: San Diego Family History Center, 1991.) FHL fiche 6075800, book 975.6 D2mr index
- Spence, Wilma C. North Carolina Bible Records Dating from the Early Eighteenth Century to the Present Day: Including Genealogical Notes and Letters Found in Some Bibles. (Logan, Utah: Unique Printing Service, 1973.) At various libraries (WorldCat), FHL fiche 6087228 and book 975.6 D2sw Birth, marriage, and death dates are often given for several generations. The book includes a surname index.
Bible records may also be found in periodicals. These are referenced in the "Families" section of the Periodical Source Index described in North Carolina Periodicals
Family History Library Catalog
Bible records can be found in the Family History Library Catalog by using a Place Search under:
NORTH CAROLINA- BIBLE RECORDS
NORTH CAROLINA, [COUNTY]- BIBLE RECORDS
- North Carolina family Bible records: The North Carolina Library and State Archives hosts a Bible records digital collection. It includes over 2000 copies of family Bibles. These records are searchable by surname or locality. Note that only names mentioned in the title are indexed. The collection is continuously growing.
- North Carolina Bible Records on North Carolina Pioneers.com: Contains an index list of Bible records in their collection. You must be a member to see the contents of the Bible record.