Northern Territory, Australia Genealogy
|Northern Territory Wiki Topics|
|Northern Territory Background|
|Local Research Resources|
The Northern Territory was originally part of New South Wales. It was annexed to South Australia in 1863 then the Commonwealth assumed administration in 1911. The capital is Darwin.
Getting started with Northern Territory research
If your family or ancestors lived in the Northern Territory before 1863, you should also search records of New South Wales. If they lived in the Northern Territory between 1863 and 1911, you should also search records of South Australia. For information about the records of the Northern Territory, click on one of the topic links at the left.
Numerous articles are available on FamilySearch Wiki to help you get started in family history. This portal will provide links to articles about general research topics.Principles of Family History Research
- Identify What You Know
- Decide What You Want to Learn
- Select Records to Search
- Obtain and Search the Records
- Use the Information
- Melville Island
- Groote Eylandt
- Wikiprocedure contains Birth,Death,Marrige,Divorce and Other Certificates
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Northern Territory
- (helpful tools and resources, gazetteers)
- (language dictionary, handwriting guide or tutorial, etc.)
Interested in editing or adding to the Wiki? The Northern Territory page needs you! Here are some simple ways you can add information other researchers need!
- National Family History Week July 31st to August 8th 2010
Things You Can Do
(Your text or images here, or use the table below:)