NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE, a borough, port, and market-town, a county of itself, and the head of a union, on the northern bank of the river Tyne (10½ miles from its mouth), locally in Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 276 miles (N. N. W.) from London, and 117 (S. E.) from Edinburgh.
Poor Law Union
Maps & Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 379-389.