Northumberland Probate Jurisdictions for Places Beginning with B and C
Here is a list of the places of Northumberland beginning with the letters B and C and the pre-1858 ecclesiatical probate courts that had jurisdiction over each.
1. In the first column, find the place where your ancestor lived.
2. In the second column, click on the court name to learn where to find the records and indexes.
3. If the record isn't found in the primary court, search the records for the secondary courts in the order listed.
4. If the record still isn't found, search the records for the Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York.
5. The last court to search is the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
If no will is found, your ancestor may not have left one.
|PARISH||PRIMARY COURT||SECONDARY COURTS - IN SEARCH ORDER|
|Bingfield St Mary||Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of York in Hexham and Hexhamshire||2 - Court of the Chancery of the Archbishop of York|
|All other parishes beginning with B||Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)||2 - Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|All parishes beginning with C||Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory)||2 - Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|