Nottinghamshire, England Genealogy
Nottinghamshire, or Notts, is a midland county in England.
"NOTTINGHAMSHIRE or Notts, a midland county; bounded, on the N W, by Yorkshire; on the N E and the E, by Lincolnshire; on the S E and the S, by Leicestershire; on the W, by Derbyshire... Its greatest length, from N to S, is 50 miles; its greatest breadth, from E to W, is 27 miles; its circuit is about 150 miles; and its area is 526,076 acres...
" Notts contains 209 parishes, parts of 2 others, and 14 extra-parochial places; and is divided into the boroughsof Nottingham, Newark, and East Retford, and the hundreds of Bassetlaw, Bingham, Broxtow, Newark, Rushcliffe, and Thurgarton...
"Notts is governed by a lord lieutenant and custos, a high sheriff, about 30 deputy lieutenants, and about 88 magistrates; and is in the N E military district, the Midland judicial circuit, and, excepting part of Ironville, in the diocese of Lincoln. The assizes are held at Nottingham, and quarter sessions, at Nottingham, Newark, and East Retford...
" Marriages in 1863, 2,582, of which 431 were not according to the rites of the Established Church; births, 11,505, of which 1,051 were illegitimate; deaths, 7,208, of which 3,099 were at ages under 5 years, and 172 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 27,072; births, 109,160; deaths, 69, 272. The places of worship within the electoral county, in 1851, were 248 of the Church of England, 21 of Independents, 14 of Particular Baptists, 14 of General Baptists, 23 of New Connexion General Baptists, 1 of Scotch Baptists, 2 of Baptists undefined, 3 of Quakers, 2 of Unitarians, 160 of Wesleyan Methodists, 15 of New Connexion Methodists, 78 of Primitive Methodists, 8 of the Wesleyan Association, 8 of Wesleyan Reformers, 4 of Independent Methodists, 1 of the New Church, 10 of isolated congregations, 1 of the Catholic and Apostolic church, 11 of Latter Day Saints, 5 of Roman Catholics, and 1 of Jews...
" Population in 1801 was 140,350; in 1821, 186,873; in 1841, 249,910; and in 1861, 293,867..."
The above extract comes from: John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). To see the full account, go to Vision of Britain.
See the parishes of Nottinghamshire.