Nottoway County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
Has anyone studied my Nottoway County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 15 family history books and articles have been published about Nottoway County's families.
- Main article: Nottoway County, Virginia
Nottoway County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 100 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Nottoway County families include:
- Cummins, A.B. Nottoway County, Virginia: Founding and Development with Biographical Sketches. Richmond, Va.: W.M. Brown, 1970. FHL Book 975.5637 H2c.
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. Includes a great deal of information about residents of Nottoway County, see discussion of cited sources.FHL Collection
- Turner, W. R. Old Homes and Families in Nottoway. Blackstone, Va.: Nottoway Pub. Co., 1950, c1932. FHL Collection. For the index compiled by Colonel R. Bolling Batte and the Projects Committee of the Virginia Genealogical Society FHL Collection FHL Collection; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Jottings about Nottoway. Contains a Narrative history of Nottoway County from earliest times to about 1890. FHL Collection
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Batte] Hamiln, Charles Hughes. "Batte and Allied Families: Genealogical Research Reports to a Client," The National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar. 1972):8-12; Vol. 60, No. 2 (June 1972):103-107; Vol. 60, No. 3 (Sep. 1972):207-212. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 60
- [Cabaness] Rowland, Jane Thomas. Henri Cabaniss (Immigrant) Papers from the Family Files with Rowland/Thomas Connections and Some Ancestors and Descendants of Jane Thomas Rowland and Arthur Ray Rowland. Augusta, Ga.: RR Books, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 C111h
- [Clardy] Clardy, L. Len. Benjamin & Millicent (?) Clardy: Amelia and Nottoway Counties, Virginia. Atlanta, Ga.: L.L. Clardy, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 C541c
- [Cocke] Coke, Ben H. Some Early Landowners in Southern Nottoway and Northern Lunenburg Counties, Virginia and the Cocke (Coke) Family Who Once Lived There. Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997. FHL Book 975.56 R2co
- [Craddock] Bridges, Kathleen J. William Craddock of Nottoway Co., Va., and His Texan Connection. Beaumont, Texas : K.J. Bridges, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 C842b
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 1 Includes Nottoway County Duncans.
- [Hightower] Ricke, Janet and Ken Ricke. Hightower Quest Family Research. Newsletter. Texas City, Texas: J. & K. Ricke, 1996-. FHL Book 929.27305 H538h
- [Hudson] Hart, Donald C. and Hudson Family Association (South). Hudson Records of Virginia. 4 vols. Longview, Texas: Hudson Family Association (South), 1984-1986. FHL Book 929.273 H867hf v. 4
- [Jennings] Jennings, Thomas Ernest and Sarah Hattie Hazel Delgado. Jennings, the Descendants and Ancestors of Robert B. Jennings, Senior, and His Wife, Tabitha (Lockhart) Jennings Robert B. Jennings, Senior, Born 1763, Prince Edward County, Virginia, Died After 16 November 1815, Will Probated March 1816, Edgefield, District, South Carolina: Tabitha (Lockhart) Jennings, Born 31 July 1778, Lincoln County, Georgia, Died 8 July 1847, Chickasaw Co., Miss. Arlington, Texas: T.E. Jennings, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 J447d
- [Thomas] Thomas, Woodlief. The Search for Samuel Thomas and Susan Woodlief of Amelia/Nottoway County, VA. Spencerport, N.Y.: W. Thomas, . FHL Film 1750823 Item 5; 1994 supplement: FHL Film 1750825 Item 2; digital version at Family History Archives; 1998 update: FHL Film 2055527 Item 23; 2003 update: FHL Book 929.273 T367tw 2003
- [Vaden] Bell, J.B. Peter Frances Vaden - 300 Years of Ancestors and Descendants. Hernando, Miss.: J.B. Bell, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 V141b
- [Watkins] The Watkins Family of Prince Edward, Halifax, Nottaway and Greenville Counties. Typescript, 1974. FHL Film 924699 Item 12
- [Woodlief] Thomas, Woodlief. The Search for Samuel Thomas and Susan Woodlief of Amelia/Nottoway County, VA. Spencerport, N.Y.: W. Thomas, . FHL Film 1750823 Item 5; 1994 supplement: FHL Film 1750825 Item 2; digital version at Family History Archives; 1998 update: FHL Film 2055527 Item 23; 2003 update: FHL Book 929.273 T367tw 2003
- [Wyatt] Wyatt Genealogical Data. MSS., microfilmed 1980. FHL Film 1033504