Oakland Cemetery is Atlanta's most famous Historic Cemetery and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Located just off of Interstate 20 in Atlanta, Oakland was created in 1850 from 6 acres of farm land. The cemetery expanded over time to more than 40 acres and is the burial place for many famous Atlantans. Luckly, the cemetery was spared during the burning of Atlanta during the Civil War. Each plot in the cemetery is officially privately owned and maintained, however the Historic Oakland Foundation works to maintain the entire cemetery. On 14 March 2008 the cemetery was hit by a tornado that swept through downtown Atlanta. Many markers, buildings and trees were damaged in the storm and the HOF continues to repair the damage.
There are many famous burials at Oakland Cemetery. Some of those are:
- Bobby Jones - Golfer
- Margaret Mitchell - Author
- Emanuel and Morris Rich - Founders of Rich's
- Hoke Smith - Politician
The cemetery is located at 248 Oakland Avenue, SE, Atlanta, Georgia 30312
The phone number is 404-688-2107
For information on burials, please call 404-658-6019 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cemetery is open every day of the year from 8am to 8pm and office hours are Monday - Thursday from 9am to 5pm and Friday from 9pm to 4pm.
- National Register of Historic Places: Oakland Cemetery &lt;http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/travel/atlanta/oak.htm&gt;
- "About Oakland." Official Oakland Cemetery Website &lt;http://www.oaklandcemetery.com/about.html&gt;
- Find A Grave - Oakland Cemetery Famous Burials <http://www.findagrave.com/php/famous.php?page=cem&FScemeteryid=35955>