Oakland County, Michigan Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The town of Rochester was formed at about the time Ann Arbor was formed in [Washtenaw County]. It is north and west of Detroit. The Mack Family built the road that ran from Detroit to Pontiac and the road which split off that and went to Rochester.
Avon (extinct) - now Rochester Hills
- Oak Hill Cemetery, Holly (Township) BillionGraves
- St. Mary's Cemetery, Milford Township BillionGraves
Irwin I. Cohn Michigan Jewish Cemetery Index - online index to more than 64,000 Jewish burials from the mid-1800’s to 1999.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Civil War service men from Oakland County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Oakland County.
- - 1st Regiment, Michigan Cavalry, Company G
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Oakland County Genealogical Society, Website.
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Bloomfield Hills Michigan Family History Center
- Pontiac Michigan Family History Center
- Rochester Michigan Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Oakland County, Michigan page 349, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).