Ohio County, West Virginia Genealogy
- This article is about a northern county of West Virginia. For other uses, see Ohio (disambiguation).
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Ohio County Clerk's Office
1500 Chapline St # 504,
Wheeling, WV 26003-3553
Phone: (304) 234-3656
1776--Ohio County was created 7 October 1776 from District of West Augusta.
County seat: Wheeling 
Ohio County was part of Yohogania County, West Virginia before most of that county went to Pennsylvania in 1776.
Places / Localities
- [Craft] Craft, Kenneth Fischer. "The Craft Family in America," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):43-45; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):36-39. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Ohio County on page 135.]
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. Available at FHL. [Includes a section on Wheeling silversmiths.]
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Ohio County is included in Vol. 2.]
-  Indexed images of the 1790 Personal Property Tax List of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Images of the 1802 Personal Property Tax Lists of Ohio County, Virginia (now West Virginia) are available to browse online, courtesy: Binns Genealogy.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Ohio County is included in Vol. 6.]
Societies and Libraries
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).